UPDATE (October 10, 2015): Please note that we are not currently accepting any books for review nor for our Book Promotion Services.
Children’s Book Reviews
At this time, we are interested in reading and reviewing books appropriate for my two children. I have a son who is 8 years old and a daughter who is 12 years old. Please consider carefully whether my children fall within your intended target audience. I will do an initial screening of all books to determine if they are appropriate for at least one of my children. I will then share information about the books with my children who will have the final say about whether they wish to read and review them.
I will consider young adult books on a case by case basis.
My criteria for accepting a book into our Book Promotion Services program includes the following. The book must be free of typos, spelling or grammar errors; must feature solid writing with regards to character development and plot building; must be entertaining; and, must not contain themes that are inappropriate to the target audience (e.g., cursing, graphic violence, adult situations with regards to drugs, alcohol, or sex, etc.). You can also check out our criteria for picture books in this post.
Feeling Unsure About Your Book?
Approximately 1/4 of the books we receive for review are not actually ready to be publicly reviewed. I find myself giving the same feedback to these authors: “Have you sent this book to an objective beta reader for feedback?” This is a CRITICAL step in the process of publishing and marketing a book. If you have not received many reviews of your book outside of family and friends, and you are not sure if we will review your book favorably, we are now providing an alternative, Thelma and Louise Beta Reading Services.
In this case, both Thelma and Louise will read your book and provide you with critical feedback regarding the plot, the characters, the writing, and other ways to improve your book.
We will accept books through our Book Promotion Services from publishers and authors of children’s books in exchange for an honest and respectful review. Please remember that this is a family/child-friendly site, so we wish to maintain a respectful dialogue about any books discussed on this site.
A few things publishers, publicists, and authors should know before contacting us:
- We do not guarantee a review of your book. By contacting us, we are agreeing to consider it for review.
- We will not post negative reviews as we feel that not all books are liked by everybody. Just because we don’t like a book, doesn’t mean someone else won’t. If we choose not to review your book, we will share with you the problems we had with it.
- For books of our own choosing, our reviews represent our opinions, so we WILL share negative and positive reviews of books we choose from the library or a book store.
- We have a lengthy backlog of books that we are still working through. We cannot guarantee a review within a specific time frame. There is a many-months (3 to 6) delay in reviews at this time.
- We will accept print and e-book copies of books, but we much, much prefer print copies as it is becoming evident that my children prefer to handle books and flip through the pages! It also makes reviewing WAY easier.
PLEASE NOTE: ** We are no longer accepting books written by child authors. I do not want to be put in the uncomfortable position of telling a child that their work is not up to snuff.**
All the books reviewed on this site are either purchased by myself, gifted to us, borrowed from the library (or a friend), or received from publishers or authors for review. When the book being reviewed is one that was sent to us by a publisher or author specifically for the purposes of review, we will clearly indicate this in the review. All reviews (other than guest reviews) are written by myself and my daughter or son and are original. Guest reviews are edited by myself for grammar, spelling, appropriateness, and length and are original. Please do not copy and redistribute ANY review or excerpt without contacting me first.
I also disclose that this site contains affiliate links and/or may display promotional banners and /or advertisements. This means that if you go on to buy products through these affiliates, I might actually make a buck or two. We’re talking pocket change here folks!
Finally, as a test to see if you have shown me the courtesy of reading my review policy before you request a review, I ask that you send an email addressed to me by first name. The contact form can be found in our footer.
Request a Book Review
Currently, we are only accepting requests through our Book Promotion program.
* Please see our Book Promotion Services *