Title: Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp
Author: Carol Diggory Shields
Year published: 1997
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Number of pages: 25
Recommended age: 4 to 8
Summary (from Amazon): This is a rollicking rhyming dinosaur picture book for young children. Have you ever wondered what the dinosaurs did for fun? What really happened when the Jurassic gang wanted to let off some steam? They danced, of course! They rocked and rolled, they twirled and tromped! They had themselves a dinosaur stomp! Join Diplodocus, Iguanodon, Duckbill, Tyrannosaurus, Allosaurus, Brontosaurus and other rockin’ dinosaurs at the biggest, loudest, wildest party ever! Boomalacka boomalacka! Whack! Whack! WHACK!
1. What is the story about? Lots of dinosaurs having a dance party. They like to dance just like me. The T-Rex was dancing too. I didn’t see any Pterodactyl’s though. Maybe he was still sleeping in his bed.
2. What do you think of the cover and/or the pictures in the book? I love the pictures! All the dinosaurs have a lot of different colors like red and green and yellow. It looks like they were having fun at the party.
3. Who is/are the main character(s)? Can you relate to them? I like all the dinosaurs because they were dancing like I can.
4. What is your favorite part of the story? When they all danced up an earthquake and stayed up way past their bedtime.
5. What is your least favorite part of the story? I liked it all! But they didn’t roar like they should have.
6. How did the story make you feel? I felt happy. I also felt like dancing.
7. What lessons did you learn from this story? Um, dinosaurs like to have fun.
8. Who do you think would like this book? I think Gregory would like this book. Can I bring it to daycare tomorrow mommy?
Son's Rating: ★★★★★
What it’s about: This is an adorable book about a bunch of dinosaurs who have a dance party. The characters were all kinds of different dinosaurs including a few I had no idea how to pronounce! The dinosaurs participate in many different types of dances, such as the Brontosaurus Bump, the Jurassic Jump, and the Dinosaur Stomp. I love the author’s play on words and rhyming text in this book. It’s also a great book to teach your child about the different dinosaur names.
My thoughts: I loved everything about this book. It’s short, simple, and the illustrations are very colorful. It’s a cute little story that’s great to read before bedtime, even though it may get your child moving all about. The characters are cute and although there isn’t really any main character it is a perfect book for preschool children.
My bottom line: I would recommend this book to all preschool and Kindergarten children. I think boys and girls would both love the simple story line and illustrations. What is there not to love about dancing dinosaurs at a party?
Mom's Rating: ★★★★★
Where to Buy:
Please visit Our Bookstore to purchase a copy of this book.