Title: Gingerbread Baby
Author: Jan Brett
Year published: 1999
Publisher: Putman Juvenile
Number of pages: 33
Recommended age: 2 to 5
Reviewed by: Featured Guest Reviewers: Hannah from Like Mama ~ Like Daughter and her daughter Bunny (2 years & 10 months)
Summary (from Amazon): Remember how the Gingerbread Boy is eaten by the fox? Well, not this Gingerbread Baby in a delicious twist to a favorite old tale.
It all begins when Matti opens the oven too soon and out jumps a cheeky little Gingerbread Bay. He leads Matti’s mother and father, the dog and the cat. And a whole colorful cast of characters on a rollicking chase through the village and into the forest, staying just out of reach, daring them to catch him along the way.
But Matti’s not with them. He’s at home in the borders making what turns out to be a gingerbread house into which the Gingerbread Baby runs. Only Matti knows he is safely inside. And readers will too when they look under the lift-the-flap gingerbread house at the end of the story, and there he is!
1. What is the story about? There’s a fox in there. If you find a fox, run away fast. Then she found the fox’s picture and said “What’s his tongue doing hanging out? Then the milk and cheese man passed by and the gingerbread baby got his nose. And he runned away and they chased him.
2. What do you think of the cover and/or the pictures in the book? I like the pictures… the fox one!
3. Who is/are the main character(s)? Can you relate to them? Do you like them? How are they like you or not? The Gingerbread baby, the fox, and a horse. [MOM: Hmmm… she is a little horse crazy right now!]
4. Have you experienced anything in your life like what happens in this book? What happened? Yes, a bear chased me and I runned away fast. [MOM: Not really–we are all about pretend right now!]
5. What is your favorite part of the story? The fox part.
6. What is your least favorite part of the story? The fox one.
7. How did the story make you feel? The fox part made me scared!
8. Who do you think would like this book? I liked it a whole bunch! [MOM: Let’s just say, Bunny asked to re-read the book approximately ten times while working on this review.]
Son's Rating: ★★★★★
What it’s about: This book is about a Gingerbread Baby who escapes from the oven when the little boy, Matti, peeks in to check on him. Everyone chases after him, but the gingerbread baby is too quick, clever, and smart for them. He runs all over town. All the while Matti has a plan. He makes a gingerbread house and the gingerbread baby runs inside, happy as can be.
My thoughts: I like this book very much. It is a very cute story that has a little bit of everything. The pictures are beautiful.
My bottom line: I would definitely recommend this book to boys and girls, ages 2-5 or so. It is a great winter time read. It is also a good book to follow up with baking and art projects.
Mom's Rating: ★★★★☆
Where to Buy:
Please visit Our Bookstore to purchase a copy of this book.