Title: The Bubble Orb and Splat the Dragon (The Adventures of the Super Bubbleloos)
Author: Janey Howe
Publication Date: 2010
Publisher: Sid Harta Publishers Pty Ltd
Number of pages: 24
Recommended age: 2 to 5
Reviewed by: Renee and Dominic (Mother and Son)
This story is about some cute bubble-creatures called Bubbleloos. It is one of the Bubbleloo’s birthday, Rosie. Splat the Dragon comes up with a plan to steal the Bubble Orb which makes all the Bubbleloos. He sends his side-kicks, Splish and Splosh, who are drips, to steal it during the birthday party. One of the Bubbleloos, Suds is sad because no one is paying attention to him, but he ends up saving the day and then everyone pays attention to him because he is the hero.
1. What do you think of the cover and/or the pictures in the book? I liked the cover and the pictures a lot. They look shiny and I like that.
2. What can you tell me about the main characters? The Bubbleloos are kind of cute. I like Berry best because it looks like he is made up of two colours. I also like Fizz because I like blue. Splat the Dragon is the villain of the story – he is a bad guy who is like a robber.
3. What is your favorite part of the book? My favorite part of the story is when Suds makes suddles come out of his bubble tube and it makes a slippery slide. I like it because it looks cool when it’s coming out and it looks like it would be fun to slide on.
4. What is your least favorite part of the book? My least favorite part of the book is when Splish and Splosh are trying to steal the Bubble Orb because it’s not very nice. Splat was also a mean guy.
5. Overall, what did you think about this book? I really liked the book because I thought it was funny.
6. Who do you think would like this book? I think kids younger than me would like this book; so, kids under the age of 6.
Son Rating: ★★★★☆
Son Rating: ★★★★☆
My Thoughts: The Bubble Orb and Splat the Dragon is the first of six books in the The Adventures of the Super Bubbleloos picture book series by Australian author Janey Howe. The story features the classic theme of good versus evil with Splat the Dragon sending his “side-kicks”, Splish and Splosh, to steal the Bubble Orb from the Bubbleloos during Rosie’s birthday party. The book also has a sub-plot featuring one of the Bubbleloos, Suds, experiencing jealousy when no one is paying attention to him – a theme which I’m sure is relevant to children.
The most striking feature of this book is the unique and creative illustrations which are comprised of simple shapes inlaid with eye-catching patterns. Each Bubbleloo is uniquely patterned. I can see how they would appeal to younger children. Further, there are seven Bubbleloos, which I’m sure is not a coincidence given that individuals (in general) have the capacity to remember 7 units. Thus, there is the potential to play a “memory” game with children as you turn the pages (e.g., “Which Bubbleloo is that one?”)
My Bottom Line: All in all, The Bubble Orb and Splat the Dragon features a story that is simple for children to follow, has the appropriate level of tension, and has unique, eye-catching and kid-friendly illustrations. I think kids 2 to 5 years old would enjoy this book.
* This book was provided to us by the author free-of-charge in exchange for our honest opinions. *
Follow Mother Daughter Book Reviews
Won’t you please sign up by entering your email address below? Thank you!