Author: Nneka Atto
Publication Date: April 4, 2013
Number of pages: 34
Recommended age: 2 to 6
Reviewed by: Renee and Dominic (Mother and Son)
Ollie is an adorable little rabbit who loves carrots. One day, he wakes up to find that his favorite carrot is gone! He travels around the world to exotic locations including a sandy desert, a warm, tropical, jungle, a cold and icy land, and a quiet bamboo forest until he grows weary and returns home to discover that his carrot had been there all along.
1. What do you think of the cover and/or the pictures in the book? I really liked the pictures and the cover – all the pictures were really cute. I like the pictures of Ollie the best, especially the ones where he is jumping and pooping [MOM: well, there IS a little black dot where he jumps – it does look like a poop, sorry! See below…]
2. What can you tell me about Ollie? Ollie is a cute little bunny rabbit and he loses his favorite carrot, goes looking for it, and then finds it again (but I won’t say where because it would give away the ending).
3. What is your favourite part of the book? My favourite part of the book is when he visits the bamboo forest and meets the panda. The panda sort of helps him find his carrot.
4. How would you describe a carrot to the penguin who didn’t know what a carrot was? A carrot is a bright orange thing that grows in gardens and that is sort of triangular and is edible.
5. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? And, what kind of animal would you see there? I would go to Australia because it’s warm and I think carrots would like living there and I would ask a koala where to find my carrot.
6. Overall, what did you think about this book? I really loved this book and I want to read it every day so I can look at the cute little bunny rabbit.
7. Who do you think would like this book? I think kids who are 10 years old and younger will like this book too because my sister liked the cute little bunny too and she’s 10.
Son Rating: ★★★★★
Son Rating: ★★★★★
My Thoughts: Ollie’s Carrot is a sweet gentle story featuring an adorable little rabbit, Ollie, who must search for his favourite carrot. He is swept away to four exotic locations which are described and illustrated simply and which feature one animal native to the area. This little story generated many fantastic discussion points between me and my son.
Ollie experiences a range of emotions beginning with the love he feels for his carrot, the sadness when he discovers it is lost, the determination when he attempts to recover it, the despair when he cannot locate it, and the joy when he is reunited with his beloved carrot! There is definitely the opportunity to discuss the emotions experienced by Ollie in the story.
There are also learning points and opportunities for discussion regarding basic geography. The author cleverly describes and illustrates diverse locations (a desert, Antarctica, a jungle, and a bamboo forest) without naming them thus leaving it to the reader to use the clues provided to guess at the country or (continent!) being referred to in the story. For example, in one scene, there is a sandy desert, with a camel and pyramids in the background. Hmmm? Where could this be?
The illustrations, all in soft pastels, are absolutely gorgeous. In particular, Ollie the rabbit, is very adorable. With every turn of the page, both my kids said, “Awwww…. Ollie is sooooo cute!” The beautiful illustrations fit perfectly with the sweet story. We all really enjoyed the pictures.
My Bottom Line: Ollie’s Carrot is a delightfully sweet story featuring beautiful pastel illustrations centred around a most adorable little rabbit. We all really loved the story and it generated discussions about the emotions experienced by Ollie and characteristics of diverse geographical locations. I think this picture book is suitable for children aged 2 to 6 years.
* This book was provided by us free-of-charge by the publisher in exchange for our honest opinion. All opinions expressed are our own. *
Follow Mother Daughter Book Reviews
Won’t you please sign up by entering your email address below? Thank you!