Author: Julia Dweck
Year published: 2013
Number of pages: 18
Recommended age: 2+
Reviewed by: Renee and Dominic (Mother and Son)
Summary (Amazon): My Dog’s Got Fleas is a fast-paced, frolicking tale about the world’s most fabulous fleas. Readers will giggle and delight learning about rare fleas that work, dance, sing, and even save the world, amidst the fur of a shaggy dog. The text is written in a lively rhyme scheme that will keep young readers entertained from beginning to end. The brilliant 3D illustrations capture the humor and personality of each extraordinary flea. My Dog’s Got Fleas is pure magic and fun!
1. What is the book about? This book is about a little boy who takes his dog to the vet because it has fleas. We get to meet all the funny fleas and the vet gets rid of the fleas.
2. What do you think of the cover and/or the pictures in the book? I like the pictures in the book. They are really good. The picture of the author at the back is really funny. We like going to the back of the book to see how the author is drawn. It’s different in every book.
3. What is your favorite part of the book? My favorite part of the book was seeing all the names of the fleas. The DreadFlea is my favorite because he’s evil and funny. He’s funny because in one of the pictures, he’s hiding in the back. I also liked PlayFlea because he’s always buried under toys. We missed the contest to name a flea, but my flea would be called Reader-Flea because he likes to read books like me. My other favorite part is when the fleas fly off the dog and fly into the vet’s hair.
4. What is your least favorite part of the book? There’s nothing I didn’t like about this book – it was all good!
5. How did the book make you feel? The book is really funny and I laughed at some of the parts. It’s a silly book.
6. Who do you think would like this book? I loved this book and I would recommend it to everybody because they will like it too!
Son Rating: ★★★★★
Son Rating: ★★★★★
What I liked and disliked: Oh no! What do you do when your pooch is covered in rare fleas? What is a rare flea, you ask? Well, for example, ” ArtFlea’s an artist flea that likes to draw and doodle” and “BeauteeFlea’s so lovely and the object of affection.” But can the vet come up with a solution to providing relief to the poor itchy doggy?
Julia Dweck provides a seemingly endless fount of rhyming innovation in the children’s e-book market. My Dog’s Got Fleas is yet another creative, whimsical story by Ms. Dweck sure to be enjoyed by children and their parents. There are few that can equal Ms. Dweck’s ability to tell a story in rhyme that plays to the imagination and that provide some of the most entertaining play on words in children’s literature. In this book, the reader is introduced to 11 different “rare fleas” including the two mentioned above. She is so creative and we always look forward to seeing what she will come up with next.
While all of Julia Dweck’s books are beautifully illustrated, My Dog’s Got Fleas is particularly visually stunning on a Kindle or tablet. All the pictures were computer generated by the UK-based children’s illustrator, Aadvart (real name Mark P.). The colours are spectacular and the 3D graphics really pop out. It’s almost like you can reach into the book and touch the fleas! Check out Aardvart’s body of work by clicking HERE.
As always, there is a colourful, modified version of the author photo in the book. Each book has Ms. Dweck illustrated as another character in the book. So, for example, in My Dog’s Got Fleas, she is illustrated as an adorable little flea (as is the illustrator). Here is a picture of her as an flea (right). This is one of our favorite things about her books! I hope she keeps this feature in future books.
My bottom line: We are big, big fans of all of Julia Dweck’s books. My Dog’s Got Fleas is the latest offering by this prolific and talented author of children’s e-books. I highly recommend My Dog’s Got Fleas as well as ANY of her other books to children aged 2+. They are simply delightful!
Mom Rating: ★★★★★
Mom Rating: ★★★★★
* My Dog’s Got Fleas was provided to us by the author free-of-charge in exchange for our honest review.*
About the Author:
(From the author’s website) Julia Dweck writes children’s stories for digital and traditional publication. Her stories span the spectrum of humor, fantasy, and edutainment in rhyme and in prose. Julia’s background in elementary education affords her the opportunity to be in touch with what children want to read about and what makes them giggle. Julia collaborates with some of the leading artists in the world of children’s literature. Julia is also a designer of educational adjuncts for children’s literature, and has worked with such notable publishing houses as Penguin Young Readers.
Where to Buy: