I’ve linked this post in the Super Sunday Sync!
Authors: Vesna & Jessica Lovelock
Illustrator: Kris Crowe
Publication Date: May 15, 2013
Publisher: Independent – Lovelock Books
Recommended Age: 2+
Reviewed by: Renee and Dominic (Mother and Son)
Written by the mother/daughter team of Vesna & Jessica Lovelock and beautifully illustrated by Kris Crowe, this tender story is about how baby and Blanky first meet.
Children love to snuggle into the warm folds of a treasured blanket. A special Blanky can generate positive feelings; a tangible expression of comfort, security and love.
But how do you find just the right blanket friend?
Blanky finds you.
*** How Blanky Found Me has been awarded the PTPA (Parent Tested Parent Approved) Winner’s Seal of Approval (August, 2013) ***
* Vesna and Jessica Lovelock are donating a portion of the proceeds from each copy of How Blanky Found Me to The Hospital for Sick Children. All donated funds will be directed to the Jessica Lovelock Tribute Fund in support of childhood cancer research. *
1. What do you think of the cover and/or the pictures in the book? I loved the pictures in the book. I loved all the blankets, but I really liked the picture of the blankets with the rainbow because it looks like they are going down the slide. I also liked the picture of the cradle in the tree because it reminds me of how my Mom sings me Rock-a-bye Baby, but she changes the end so she catches me before I hit the ground.
2. What can you tell me about the story? This story is about a baby who gets his own blanket. His blanket, a yellow one, flies through the window and gives him a hug.
3. What is your favourite part of the book? My favorite part of the book is when all the blankets are flying around in the sky and they slide down the rainbow.
4. Can you describe your special blanky? My special blanky is a purple fuzzy blanket. I love it because my Mom gave it to me.
5. Overall, what did you think about this book? I really loved this book because it is about blankets. I love my blanky.
6. Who do you think would like this book? I think kids under the age of 7 would like this book especially if they have a special blanky.
Son Rating: ★★★★★
My Thoughts: How Blanky Found Me is a sweet rhyming tale born out of a childhood bedtime ritual between the mother-daughter author team of Vesna Lovelock and her daughter Jessica. When Jessica was a little girl, Vesna would tell her a story about Blanky, ending with Mom gently lifting Jessica’s blanket in the air and letting it fall gently over Jessica, enveloping her in the warm cozy blanket, symbolic of a mother’s love for her daughter. From this beautiful interaction between mother and daughter grew the idea for the book How Blanky Found Me.
Ok, I admit it … I had a special “blanky” too. Truth be told, it was a hideously coloured (orange, black, white, pink, green) crocheted afghan that my dear grandmother knit for me when I was about 7 years old. I was so attached to that blanket, I took it on holidays with me across Canada when I was 14 years old! Yes, I still have it. Thus, I can completely relate the basic concept behind this book. As Linus van Pelt can attest to, there is definitely attachment between a child and their blanky and this is what this book is all about – that special bond.
Aside from the heartwarming story told in sing-song rhyme, the illustrations are absolutely beautiful. The soft pastel-coloured watercolour scenes are delightful to behold. There is an expansive scene depicted on each two-page spread featuring eye-catching, kid-friendly elements. The images of the blankets floating and fluttering in the sky are magical. I think young children will especially love these pages. The word density is just right for young children. Aside from the first two pages, there is either one short, four-line verse or no words at all on each two-page spread. The pages are dripping with warmth and love.
My Bottom Line: How My Blanky Found Me is a sweet and heartwarming picture book about the special bond between a child and their favorite blanket. The book features beautiful illustrations and short, rhyming verses that will sure to be loved by children as young as 2 years old. I highly recommend this book to parents and grandparents who want to share a special moment with their loved one at bedtime or anytime!
About The Authors: Vesna and Jessica Lovelock
This mother/daughter team from Oakville, Ontario, has always enjoyed an environment rich in creativity and imagination. Over the years, they’ve had great fun creating and telling wild and whimsical tales to one another. Building on those happy memories, they have joined forces to produce their first children’s book, How Blanky Found Me. For more information, visit their website at lovelockbooks.ca.
* Giveaway *
Prize: We are giving away 6 hardcover copies of How Blanky Found Me by Vesna and Jessica Lovelock. Three copies will to available to winners from the U.S. and three copies will be available to winners in Canada.
Contest runs: October 14 to November 3, 11:59 pm, 2013
Open: U.S. & Canada
How to enter: Please enter using the Rafflecopter widget below.
Terms and Conditions: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Three winners with a U.S. mailing address and three winners with a Canadian mailing address will be randomly drawn through the Rafflecopter widget. Winners will be contacted by email within 48 hours after the giveaway ends. Winners will have 72 hours to respond. If a winner does not respond within 72 hours, a new draw will take place for a new winner. Odds of winning will vary depending on the number of eligible entries received. This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. This giveaway is sponsored by authors Vesna and Jessica Lovelock and is hosted and managed by Renee from Mother Daughter Book Reviews. If you have any additional questions – feel free to send an email to Renee(at)MotherDaughterBookReviews(dot)com.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
* I was given this book free-of-charge by the author in exchange for my honest opinion. All opinions expressed are my own. The author has also opted to participate in our Book Promotion Program where we will tweet and share information about this book, the author, and the giveaway.*