Mother Daughter Book Reviews is pleased to be coordinating a Book Blast for the middle grade time-travel thriller “Through the Shimmer of Time” by Jennifer Jensen (November 2 to 4, 2015). Grab an e-copy from Amazon for only 99 cents, November 2 to 4 and for $1.99, November 6 and 7, 2015 (regular price $3.99).
About the Book
Title: Through the Shimmer of Time | Authors: Jennifer Jensen | Publication Date: July 30, 2014
Publisher: Pangur Bán Books | Pages: 216 | Recommended Ages: 8 to 12
A little curiosity never hurt anyone, right?
When Jim ditches his little sister to search for a haunted cabin, he gets time-traveled nearly 200 years into the past – right into the middle of a swindler’s cover-up. The criminals have murder on their minds now, but Jim is trapped in time.
Hannah’s life of family and farm chores is turned upside down when a boy in strange clothes suddenly appears in the old trapper’s cabin. Should she believe his wild tale? And how much will she risk to lay a friend’s ghost to rest?
Jim and Hannah struggle to unmask a thief and solve a murder, but it will take all their courage and wits, plus the rocket motors in Jim’s pocket, just to stay alive.
If you love time-travel, mysteries and the olden days, start reading THROUGH THE SHIMMER OF TIME now.
1. What is the book about? This book tells the story of a boy named Jim who abandons his little sister to go see a haunted cabin; but then he accidentally travels back through time to the year 1838 where we meet Hannah and her family. They are doing their regular chores when a boy appears out of the haunted cabin. He says his name is Jim. Hannah and Jim become friends and they must solve a murder and track down a criminal but it makes things so much harder when the criminal is able to travel back and forth through time, stealing from two different times.
2. Who are the main characters? There are two main characters. First there is Jim, who lives in the present day and who is very mischievous and gets into lots of trouble. Second, there is Hannah, who is a girl from 1838 and who is always doing chores and more chores but she finally gets to have fun when Jim comes to her time.
3. What do you think of the book cover? I thought the book cover was really cool and really eye-catching. It also looks very realistic.
4. What are your favorite parts of the book? I don’t really have a favorite part (I liked it all!) but I really liked how Hannah and Jim had to keep traveling through time to catch up to the villain. It was really cool how the villain needed things from both time periods.
5. Is there anything you didn’t like or that didn’t make sense? No, everything made perfect sense. It was very well planned and I had no trouble understanding things as they were happening.
6. If you could travel back in time, where would you go and why? If I could travel back in time, I would go to Pompeii before the volcano erupted so that everyone could save themselves. If everyone knew way before it happened, it would give them time to leave the area and prepare for the eruption.
7. Overall, what did you think about the book? I thought the book was very interesting and mysterious. It was a really good book. I couldn’t put it down and read it very quickly. Very exciting!!
8. Who do you think would like this book? I think girls and boys ages 8-12 would really enjoy this book. I sure did!
More Buzz About the Book
“40 years old and my child inside me could not put it down. This unique writing definately [sic] takes me back to some great stories I have read in my youth. I highly recommend this for anyone that loves time travel.” ~ 5 Star Review, CRCurtis, Amazon
“The characters and the story are very engaging, and realistic. By the time I was halfway through it, I was a totally believing in time travel! Bravo, Ms. Jensen. Keep up the good work!” ~ 5 Star Review, Kassandra L., Goodreads
“This story made me feel like a kid again. I loved mysteries as a child, and even as an adult I gobbled this one up. It’s middle-grade, and I think it’s perfect for that age group. There’s mystery, excitement, a hint of danger, and an annoying little sister (not really, but he thinks she is and don’t ALL siblings think that?). It’s real life, with time travel twists. Love it. If your child likes mysteries and time adventures, they’ll love it.” ~ 5 Star Review, Melinda V., Goodreads
About the Author: Jennifer Jensen
Jennifer Jensen is an award-winning writer who wouldn’t be without her computer or smart phone, but still dreams of living in the olden days. Until someone invents a working time machine, she lives in Indiana and makes do with plenty of imagination, loads of books and as much Dr. Who as the BBC will produce.
She’s a longtime member of SCBWI and has received two Indiana Arts Commission grants for her fiction. Through the Shimmer of Time was her first novel. The sequel, RESCUE Through the Shimmer of Time, will be available for pre-order soon.
** Book Blast Giveaway **
Prize: One winner will receive a $25 Amazon gift card or $25 PayPal cash prize, winner’s choice
Giveaway ends: November 15, 11:59 pm, 2015
Open to: Internationally
How to enter: Please enter using the Rafflecopter widget below.
Terms and Conditions: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. A winner will be randomly drawn through the Rafflecopter widget and will be contacted by email within 48 hours after the giveaway ends. The winner will then have 72 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond within 72 hours, a new draw will take place for a new winner. Odds of winning will vary depending on the number of eligible entries received. This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. This giveaway is sponsored by the author, Jennifer Jensen and is hosted and managed by Renee from Mother Daughter Book Reviews. If you have any additional questions – feel free to send and email to Renee(at)MotherDaughterBookReviews(dot)com.